Friday, March 3, 2023

The Deluxe HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT is out


So, Wednesday came a ring at the doorbell that sent the cats scurrying, as usual. Checking the front porch revealed a stack of four boxes. Picking one up and finding it moderately heavy, I said half-jokingly they might at least in part be a shipment of honey, then added that some might be an order of bulk tea instead. Then Janice pointed to the Harper Collins labels on the side, and All Was Clear.

x







I'd been waiting for the arrival of my author's copies for the new editions

Uploading: 303602 of 303602 bytes uploaded.

of THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, both the one-volume hardcover with the Ted Nesmith cover and the deluxe slipcase edition. It's great to have this available again, in my preferred edition: the expanded one-volume edition with the fifth appendix and Addendum. They even included all the artwork with high-quality reproduction, with the frontispieces to both of the original volumes (Fimbulfambi's Map and both sides, front and back, of Bilbo's Contract).

Now that I've had a chance to look this over, it was definitely worth the wait; Harper Collins did a bang-up job.

The only problem (and it's a good kind of problem to have) is that I no longer know how many copies of THE HOBBIT I have.

--John R.


5 comments:

OnTheTrail said...

Great news John. Congrats. May I ask, what is the fold-out poster of? And are there any other exclusives besides the poster?

Many thanks.

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear OTT

I know of no poster, fold-out or otherwise.

This edition is pretty much the same as the 2011 one-volume hardcover; the only extra I'm aware of is the slipcase and cover design that goes with it (on the deluxe edition) vs. the now-standard one-volume with the new Neismith dustjacket.

I can''t say how happy it makes me to have this readily available again, in both the UK and the US, in hardcover and in Kindle.

--John R.

OnTheTrail said...

Thanks John. One can never have enough of these volumes, which is why I am impatiently waiting for these new designs to arrive :-)

Re. the poster. From Amazon UK the description reads:

"Brand new deluxe edition of this definitive companion to The Hobbit, quarter-bound, stamped in gold foil with a unique design inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien’s own artwork, featuring a ribbon marker and exclusive foldout poster, and housed in a matching custom-built slipcase."

With that I am assuming that your deluxe has no fold-out poster?

Doug Kane said...

This post motivated me to finally order the one volume edition to replace my original (and very well-used) two volume edition.

Yay!

Doug

Charlie Warren said...

Is it possible to have too many copies of The Hobbit?!?!?