Friday, April 12, 2024

Writing to Inklings

So, thanks to the Tolkien Society (thanks, Asli), I now have the link to my Oxonmoot paper, recounting my meetings and correspondence with a half dozen or so Inklings or what we may call Inklings-adjacent figures. Included are Humphrey Havard, Owen Barfield, David Cecil, Mrs. Tangye Lean,  J.  I. M. Stewart, and Christopher Wiseman. 

Also, revealed at last is the history behind the notorious 'Nerd Nyren'.

 Included are slides of some previously unpublished photos. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeQ5Hmq9mo

--John R

current reading: uncollected and unfinished ghost stories by M. R. James  (re-reading) 

3 comments:

Wurmbrand said...

Thank you for this. The highlight for me was learning from Barfield that Lewis had hosted Walter de la Mare at Magdalen and perhaps arranged an overnight guest room stay there for him. De la Mare doesn't come up very often in Inklings discussions and I mean to address that in some future writing.

Dale Nelson

John D. Rateliff said...

Yes, Inklings studies is full of little surprises. Like that we kbow CSL invited T. H. White to attend a meeting, though we don't know if White accepted (my guess is no).

--John R.

P.S. We also know Dunsany invited White over to Dunsany Castle, and that White accepted.--JDR.

Jaojao said...

Thank you so much, this is very interesting! I'm very glad you made this presentation and concur with that commenter in hoping these letters might be published some day. I appreciate that you asked several of the correspondents about Dunsany and Eddison.