Wednesday, August 16, 2023

The Dragon Arrives


 

So,  today my dragon arrived.  

I'd known he was on the way but not just when he wd reach me,* so the arrival of a hefty package from England took me by surprise. After a deal of unpacking (glad to see they made sure it was well-cushioned before putting it in the mail), it was revealed in all its glory: see above. It's currently installed in the middle of my desk upstairs in my office, so that I have something interesting to look** at when I get stuck when writing and have to mull over different options as how best to proceed.

I've decided to name him Winchester.

This is the physical award that goes with the honor announced a few months ago that I had won the Tolkien Society's Outstanding Achievement award

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2023/04/winners-of-the-tolkien-society-awards-2023-announced/

So many thanks again to the Society for this honor. 

And now it's back at work on my latest piece, to be delivered at Oxonmoot in just about two weeks, which I call 'Writing to Inklings'. Hope those who decide to check it out find it informative and enjoyable. See you (virtually) soon.

--John R.

--current reading: LA BELLE SAUVAGE by Philip Pullman (the first book in his prequel trilogy), which I have almost finished, probably to be followed by the new book on Wm Hope Hodgson.


*plus I'm engrossed in my current project and am approaching the stage in which, like Edward Gorey's Mr. Earbrass I wander from room to room. 

**sometimes it's an Easter Island head, sometimes an old lava lamp, sometimes an hourglass, the occasional hand-sized turtle, or any of a number of rocks I picked up because it looked interesting (in which habit / I am v. much my mother's son),  et al.

No comments: