Sunday, August 6, 2023

I Register for GaryCon

 So, I've just registered to attend next year's GaryCon (March 21st through March 24th, 2024), a mecca* of old-school roleplaying gaming. Last year I got to attend the TSR reunion party and see a lot of familiar faces (and other faces once familiar that I hadn't seen in a long time), thanks to the generosity of a ride from friend Jim Lowder, from Milwaukee to Lake Geneva and back again. 

Now I've decided to take the plunge and attend the weekend, and see how many old school games I can work into one weekend.

Any advice on getting the most out of the event much appreciated.

See you there?

--John R.


*not to be confused with Milwaukee's old MECCA convention center, which sadly is no more

1 comment:

Gionny Armando Verrone said...

Greetings Mr. John D. Rateliff, I have been wanting to write to thank you for a long time.

For what? For instilling a passion for Dungeons and Dragons just 20 years ago.

Not knowing how to write to you, I decided to do it here on a related topic, I haven't found anything better on social media.

Want to thank you for writing The Standing Stone.

The fascination that this story exerts on me is unmatched and 20 years later I can tell you that for me it remains the best adventure I have ever read.

In that regard, I've always wondered if you had any additional information about The Standing Stone, of any kind.

Example, where did you envision putting Ossington, on the Greyhawk map?

In the hookups for the characters, Lord Carraway has heard rumors of trouble and hires the PCs to quietly investigate. Worried by rumors of an elven pogrom (“just like in the Lendore Isles”), he needs to know if the elven kingdom on the other side of the forest has begun plans for a hostile campaign against the humans who live on this side of the forest or is merely seizing the neutral territory that lies between.

Thank you and sorry for writing here.

PS. Hope you enjoy GaryCon 2024!

Johnny, from Italy.