Wednesday, March 2, 2022

My Mother's Death

I had no idea how hard it is to write your own mother's obituary, but this week I've found out. The following represents the best I could do. I drafted it, my sister went through and improved it, I did an edit, a member of the younger generation (Will) gave it a once-over, and here it is, ready for the funeral service and for posting to the local online news site. I hope it conveys something about what made my mother special to so many different people.



Dorris Ann Rateliff 

June 7 1935—February 18 2022 age eighty-six 

Resident of Magnolia since 1944, the daughter of Dr. Samuel Denny Smith, a historian who was the first member of the faculty at what is now known as SAU (Southern Arkansas University) to hold a doctorate, and Mabel Dorris Smith, who worked for many years at Talbot’s on the square. 

She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband John Rateliff, and two granddaughters: Kristy Garrison and Melinda Williams. 

She is survived by her brother Denny Smith, wife Nancy, nephew Dr. Sam Smith, and niece Terri Darling of Little Rock; her daughter Pam Philpot and husband Tommy of Waskom Texas, her son Dr. John D. Rateliff and wife Janice Coulter of Kent Washington; grandchildren Misty Lybarger and husband Kyle, Stormy Sladaritz and husband Will, Allen Hutchins, Tommy Philpot Jr. and wife Whitney; and twelve great-grandchildren. 

She also had many special friends, extended family members, church family, and Walmart family who will miss her dearly. She was a longtime member of First Presbyterian Church of Magnolia, where she served as an Elder. She was also the local voice of WalMart for thirty-four years, who answered the phone for almost all incoming calls. 

She was a generous honorary aunt to many children of her acquaintance, mindful of birthdays and special occasions. 

She loved to collect rocks, each of which came with a memory of the person who gave it to her and where it had come from. She was a lifetime vegetarian and lover of cats. She also loved rock music and thoroughly enjoyed a ZZTop concert a friend took her to in El Dorado in 2017. 



1 comment:

Matt Fisher said...

Oh John...Bettie and I were so sorry to see Janice's posts about this on Facebook. We both know what it's like to lose the sole remaining parent; I'm not even going to try to find the words to convey all the emotions going through my mind right now.

From the obituary, your mom sounded like a very unique and special person. I'll simply add a slightly revised version of what a good friend told me when my father died. I never knew your mom, but I've known her her son and - as is so often he case - knowing the son makes you feel you have met the mother.

You and your sister and the rest of your family will be in our prayers.