Monday, March 7, 2022

A Portrait of Priscilla

So, thanks to friend D. for the link that led to  the following brief memoir. 

In addition to being a nice piece on Priscilla it focuses on a side of her life that often got overlooked --e.g., her work as a probation officer.

https://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/news/memory-priscilla-tolkien

I particularly like the painting-portrait of Priscilla in what I think is the drawing room of her house. I don't know if that's a Tolkien Piano in the background but I do recognize the photo of her parents in the garden at Sandfield Road. I get the feeling that many of the items around the edges of the painting have personal significance, like the pieta and the metronome. 

Anyway a nice piece and a nice picture; I've printed it out to insert in my copy of THE TOLKIEN FAMILY ALBUM.

--John R.


No comments: