Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Flooding in Arkansas

Just saw the news that there's danger of flash flooding in Stamps, Arkansas -- which is in Lewis County, which is adjacent to Columbia County, in the middle of which is Magnolia, Arkansas: my home town. The news alert didn't have much information, but I assume this is the Red River, which used to flood on a regular basis when my father  was growing up nearby (he went to high school in Stamps). That all stopped when they put the levees in. I think the last big flood came with Hurricane Betsy in 1965. Now I suspect the protection the levees have offered all these years may not be enough to face what climate change is sending.

More on this story as there's more news coming out of the area.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/jul/12/us-extreme-weather-live-vermont-phoenix-california-arizona-texas-nevada-heatwave-flooding-latest-updates#pinned-post 

No comments: