Monday, April 24, 2023

Doctor Who as Gandalf



So, recently I rewatched one of the old Harryhausen films, SINBAD & THE EYE OF THE 
TIGER (1977). I knew that Patrick Troughton, one of the most fondly remembered actors to play DOCTOR WHO (The Second Doctor, 1966-69), was in it. What I didn't remember is how strongly his Grecian alchemist and sage, Melanthius, resembles Ian McKellen's Gandalf the Grey.

Also, while looking this up I took the time to confirm something I'd heard years ago: that Troughton had a small role in THE OMEN (which I've never seen). It was interesting to see how much Troughton's serious role there, which consisted mainly of running away, resembled his comedic Dr. Who scenes, which also featured a lot of running away.* 

--John R.
Current reading: Wm Morris THE WELL AT THE WORLD'S END
Current viewing:  THE ARK (streaming)
 

*except for the gruesome ending --THE OMEN is a horror movie after all.






So, 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget that another Doctor Who, Tom Baker, was in the Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

John D. Rateliff said...

Not only was Tom Baker in it, I think it'd be safe to say he stole the show.
--John R.