Friday, December 9, 2022

Wednesday's Cello

So, I was a big fan of THE ADDAMS FAMILY when I was a kid, watching it during its original run. I was particularly fond of Thing, Gomez, Lurch, and especially Uncle Fester.*

So when I heard of WEDNESDAY, the new spin-off of the Addams' story focusing on rebellious teen daughter Wednesday ("Wednesday's child is full of woe"), I definitely wanted to try it out. We have not been disappointed.

Having enjoyed it myself, I wanted to share two of the more interesting bits: (1) Wednesday playing the early Rolling Stones song "Paint It Black" on the cello in what sounds to me like a virtuoso solo 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1s_peFvWzk

and (2) a very striking dance scene set to an almost rockabilly number called "Goo Goo Muc". This one was new to me but a high point of the episode. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NakTu_VZxJ0

We plan to watch the last episode this evening tonight. Short of any unexpected jump-the-shark moments I think this series as a whole proves itself a worthy expansion of its excellent progenitor(s).

--John R.
current reading: THE FIRST EMANCIPATOR


*it was not until years later that I learned the backstory of Jackie Coogan, who played Fester, which made him something of a hero of mine; I admire the actor independently of enjoying the character.

I also in recent years came to know and admire the work of Charles Addams, the cartoonist who created the 'Family' . More like Gorey than anyone else, but with his own distinct voice.  Highly recommended. 



4 comments:

grodog said...

On our list to check out, after we catch up on Sandman, Rings of Power, Stranger Things season 4, and others ;)

Allan.

Monkey At A Typewriter said...

I recall a comment by Charley Chaplain about Coogan, who was his costar in The Kid when he was 6 or 7. They were reunited during his time as Fester and Chaplain saw a middle-aged man with a tummy. It was charming.' He was the first child star and his parents frittered away his money, leading to the Coogan Act.

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear Grodog:
Having an abundance of good choices is the right kind of problem to have. Having been disappointed by 1899 I plan to go back and resume SANDMAN, and eventually go back to DOCTOR WHO as well. Never did see STRANGER THINGS and suspect it's too late to board that train by now.
--

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear Type

Yes, Chaplin had his faults but he was generous and loyal. And massively talented, of course --the last scene in CITY LIGHTS is one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever put to film.

The Coogan Law saved a lot of subsequent child actors from losing all the money they'd made due to spendthrift parents. What I admire about Coogan is that he picked himself up and carried on: his WIkipedia entry shows what a busy working actor's life looks like.

He's good in both, but of the two 'role of a lifetime' I actually prefer Uncle Festus from THE ADDAMS FAMILY over THE KID.

--John R.