Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Number Two Is Pretty Good!

So, thanks to Janice for sharing with me the results of another 'best books' poll, this one looking for the best book written in the last one hundred and twenty-five years.

Here's their list:


Harper Lee

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

JRRT

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

George Orwell

NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE

Toni Morrison

BELOVED


I feel a bit shy confessing that I've only read two of their top five, plus two of their subsidiary books: DRACULA (best horror) and WATERSHIP DOWN (misplaced, I wd say, in the best children's book section).

The big news is of course THE LORD OF THE RINGS' appearance in the #2 position. Significant, I think, that Tolkien and Orwell are both writers who gave the dominant contemporary mode, Modernism, a pass.

--John R.
--current reading: Kipling's KIM, and wondering if I shd do a little reading up on the Sepoy Rebellion.

*  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/28/books/best-book-winners.html?referringSource=articleShare


No comments: