Saturday, August 28, 2021

Tea, in the Dark

So, thanks to my friends Jim and Deb, whom I've known since Marquette days, even before TSR, I got smoothly from the airport to my hotel, and even got some frozen custard* along the way. After a good visit I settled into my room for the night.

That's when the power went out. It flickered a minute or so as if it were trying to restart but didn't. So with the aid of a little alarm clock/ pocket flashlight I went down to the front desk. No light, no elevator, no wifi, no phone, and no tea.** Luckily the door keys still worked, and the 'Exit' signs kept the corridors from being totally dark. 

The people at the front desk said they didn't know what was going on, since the phones were out, leaving them with no way to talk to the electricians who ought to be on their way. This was not encouraging. I'd planned to catch up on sleep that first night of my trip, but this was a bit much.

Back to the room where I waited some more and organized stuff I'd brought with me as best I cd with the aid of the little flashlight and some light coming in through the window. After a time I went back down again, where the staff seemed to be pretty relaxed about things. By now it's starting to get towards late afternoon, and I'm not looking forward to the prospect of an unfamiliar dark room once it gets dark out. I asked if it were likely the lights wd be back on before dark. Of course, they said.

Sure enough, the power came back, lights and internet and all,  after near-total darkness from 4.11 to 5.20  --more than an hour.

--John R.

*a Milwaukee tradition that has failed to establish itself in the Seattle area.

**luckily I'd made a cup shortly before the power failed, but there was a limit to how far I cd stretch this out, and the tea-making equipment in the lobby was inert.

No comments: