Saturday, July 18, 2020

Update on Amazon (US & UK)

So, here's the happy ending: I had the Garth book before three o'clock the day after I ordered it. I've given it a quick skim; I'm sure I'll post about various odds and end that come up as I read it.

And to give them due credit, the UK amazon processed the cancellation right away, so that's all taken care of as well.

And if that weren't good news enough, the long-awaited packet of my current favorite Yunnan and Keemun finally reached me as well.

And now it's back to reading a slim volume of George Sterling (as a precursor to Clark Ashton Smith) and continuing on WATERSHIP DOWN. In token of which it felt entirely appropriate that on yesterday's walk from here to the local wetlands and back I saw seven rabbits on the way out and twelve on the way back, aa new record.

--John R.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ordered it directly from Princeton, and while it took a little longer for me to get it, I was glad to avoid using Amazon (which I do use when there aren't any other options that work). I've also only given it a skim, but it looks wonderful.

Doug

N.E. Brigand said...

Have you heard that rabbit hemorrhagic disease has now reached the U.S.?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/deadly-virus-killing-wild-rabbits-north-america

John D. Rateliff said...

Yes, I heard of the outbreak of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease and thought to myself: that sounds exactly like Poe's description of The Red Death. Lucky for us it's rabbit-specific.

Of course I've just been reading descriptions of myxomatosis, which is pretty grisly stuff. I had, wrongly, believed that this was a man-made disease created to wipe out rabbit populations. I find instead that it's a natural disease which was deliberately spread by humans.

What a world, what a world.

--JDR