Thursday, February 27, 2020

a William Hope Hodgson kickstarter

So, I've long been an admirer of Wm Hope Hodgson's work since I was first introduced to it by my friend Jim Pietrusz back in the mid-80s.* So it was good news to learn from friends Jeff, Steve, and Stan at the Monday night game that there's a Kickstarter in the works to fund an rpg
based on his Sargasso Sea stories.

Here's the link to GREY SEAS ARE DREAMING OF MY DEATH:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nachonomics/grey-seas-are-dreaming-of-my-death-william-hope-hodgson-rpg?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=william%20hope%20hodgson

From the look of it this is a minimalist rpg, pretty much a one-shot with pregenerated characters that through stretch goals is expandable into campaign mode.

Now if we cd get a Carnaki rpg as well, that wd be something.**

Dare we dream someday of a NIGHT LAND campaign? When I first heard that TSR had a setting called DARK SUN in the works as a follow-up to RAVENLOFT, I was excited by the thought it might be something truly Hodgsonesque, only to get ConanLand instead. Oh well.

--John R.

*for an example of my critique of Hodgson, see my 'Classics of Fantasy' piece on his masterpiece, THE NIGHT LAND (written circa 1905, published 1912).
**there was one in the FORGOTTEN FUTURES line, but that was a good quarter-century ago, and it took minimalism to an extreme.




No comments: