Monday, October 7, 2019

A question for grammarians (Three Dog Night)

So, the other day I heard Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World" on the radio and my attention was caught by the line

"If I were the king of the world
I tell you what I'd do
I'd throw away the cars and the bars and the wars
And make sweet love to you . . . "

Hearing this familiar line in a familiar song (I remember when it was first a hit), it struck me for the first time that car/bar/war was a kind of eye-rhyme. At least that's what I'd call it if I saw it written down in a poem. CAR and BAR definitely rhyme, and WAR is so similar in spelling it looks like it shd rhyme with the other two but actually doesn't. So my question is this: can it be 'eye' rhyme when you don't see it?

--John R.

--who wd gladly go along with getting rid of bars (as a prohibitionist) and wars (as a pacifist), though losing cars wd be hard; despite THE BOVADIUM FRAGMENTS I'd prefer fewer cars (and better public transportation) rather than no cars at all. --JDR

No comments: