Monday, September 21, 2015

I Have a Hole in my Head

So, today during my regular visit to the dentist for a check-up and tooth-cleaning I was greeted with the news that they wanted to do a full set of x-rays to update their records. This always takes a while, since I still have my wisdom teeth, making it more difficult for them to position the equipment far enough back in my mouth. So I wasn't surprised when it took a number of re-takes back in there on both sides. What did surprise me was the questions they started asking about whether I'd ever had sinus surgery and the like.

Turns out the x-rays revealed a dark patch just above the wisdom teeth far back on the upper right. This didn't appear on a similar set of x-rays they took in 2006: it may not have been there then, or it may have been there and just not showed up.  In any case, they recommend I follow this up with a good Ears Nose Throat person, so tomorrow will include some calling around and appointment making.

In the meantime, I have a hole in my head. Which is kinda weird. Not really a call for concern, but still weird.

As for  the rest of the visit, it went well, except that I got The Lecture about flossing.*

--John R.

Today's word: radiolucency.


current (re)reading: THE ROOK by O'Malley.


*I don't floss

3 comments:

N.E. Brigand said...

I was raised in a house without floss, and continued not to floss for more than ten years after reaching adulthood. I have been paying for that mistake ever since. It's probably more important to floss than to brush.

John D. Rateliff said...

I don't floss.

Lectures are not going to make me floss.

THE WIFE (who flosses) SAYS: "[You] don't need free lectures when [you're] paying good money for lectures from professionals."

The total sum result of said lectures being, I don't floss.

--JDR

N.E. Brigand said...

Ha! Well, it wasn't lectures that got me to start flossing, but exasperation at the physical and financial pain of so much dental work.