Sunday, July 6, 2014

THE SHIPPEY FESTSCHRIFT

So, Wednesday (the second) marked a great event: the arrival of my copy of my latest publication, the T. A. Shippey festschrift TOLKIEN IN THE NEW CENTURY: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF TOM SHIPPEY, just out from McFarland. I'm both an editor (along with Jn Houghton, Janet Croft, Nancy Martsch, and Robin Reid) and contributor, my piece being called "Inside Literature: Tolkien's Explorations of Medieval Genres". It's a great relief to finally have this out, since it's been a long time in the works (five or six years).

More on this one later. For now, here's a link from the publisher's website that shd, if all goes well, include a Table of Contents listing:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/contents-2.php?id=978-0-7864-7438-7

And here's the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-New-Century-Essays-Shippey/dp/0786474386

No table-of-contents listing here, but there is a paragraph summarizing the book's contents (e.g., mine is referenced as "Tolkien's interest in medieval genres", which gives a pretty good idea of what's in the book.

No reviews yet, but it's early days.

Here's hoping Professor Shippey is pleased by these offerings.

--John R.

current reading: IN SEARCH OF J. D. SALINGER (still)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say whether Prof. Shippey is pleased, but I certainly am! I received my copy from Amazon on Monday last and have been enjoying it ever since.

Anonymous said...

Hello John

Still waiting for mine over here in the UK. Amazon still has not dispatched although says that estimated delivery is 24 June to 9 July 2014 so perhaps the eagles will deliver it soon. Busy with the brilliant Blackwell Tolkien Companion (just read your excellent chapter on The Hobbit).

All the Best, Andy

John D. Rateliff said...

Doug K: Glad you're enjoying it. I think there are a lot of good pieces in this festschrift, and I'm looking forward to reading it as a whole (it having been some time since I read the constituate pieces)

Andrew: Fair's fair I guess. I have the Shippey book, which has not yet reached you, while you have the Stuart Lee book, which I'm still waiting for to arrive. Glad you enjoyed my essay on THE HOBBIT.

And there's a third collection of essays, this time on Tolkien & Women, due out soon from the Mythopoeic Press. This summer is bringing lots of good things to TolkFolk, first and foremost among them of course being TOLKIEN'S BEOWULF

--John R.