Sunday, February 20, 2022

What's Wrong with This Picture?

So, thanks to the friend (Hi, D) who showed me a cover scan she found online of my book RETURN TO BAG END, the second half of THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT. Can you spot what's wrong with this image?



Here's a clue:: what's wrong with the image above is right in the image below:



I'll post the answer in a separate post.

--John R;

--current reading: a light novel, plus a little ways into  N.Hopkinson's BROWN GIRL IN THE RING (which might I suppose be called a heavy novel).


4 comments:

Formendacil said...

You would appear to have been shorn of your middle initial!

Paul W said...

I'm stumped. I mean, the middle initial thig is a difference, but is that something wrong, or just different? Theart is a bit different as well, but again, is that wrong or just different?

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear Formendacil: Yes, that's right. I always use my middle initial in all my publications. When it's absent that means someone else has changed it to the less correct form.

Dear Paul: It's not a major error, but it is an aggregation to not see my preferred form of the name used, especially inn cases when the correct form gets changed to the incorrect one.


The interesting thing about the middle-initial less form for this book is that it seems to mainly appear on websites such as abebooks.com . My best guess is that it comes from some prerelease ad or announcement used a prototype cover.

I suppose I'm more sensitive to this due to my having a last name that's frequently mis-pronounced as well as occasionally mis-spelled

--JDR

Paul W said...

You don't seem sensitive at all, but lacking the context made it difficult to see that as a mistake. :) I was hunting through the cover art looking for something odd added in or taken out. :)

Like Galadriel in armor boasting the Star of Fëanor. ;)