Thursday, May 7, 2020

Kalamazoo ('Valinor in America')

So, today wd have been the first day of Kalamazoo,* had the pandemic not intervened and the Medieval Congress been deferred till next year. And I wd have given my presentation by now as part of the first set of sessions starting at ten o'clock this morning.

The title of the session I wd have been part of is

'Medieval World-Building: Tolkien, His Precursors and Legacies'

The papers making up this session, which wd have been moderated by Kristine Swank, were

• 'Tolkien, Robin Hood, and the Matter of the Greenwood' by Perry Neil Harrison

• 'Tolkien's Golden Trees and Silver Leaves: Do Writers Build the Same World for Every Reader?' by Luke Shelton,

• 'Infinity War of the Ring: Parallels between the Conflict within Sauron and Thanos' by Jeremy Byrum, and

 'Valinor in America: Faerian Drama and the Disenchantment of Middle-earth' by myself.

I still need to do a lot on my piece, though I'd already written enough to fill my allotted time; when I get done with my current deadline I need to get back to work on this.


--John R.

*that is, not counting the Tolkien Seminar, held each year the Wednesday before the conference officially starts, adjacent to the official event but not part of it.

2 comments:

David Bratman said...

The question "Do Writers Build the Same World for Every Reader?" particularly interests me. After reading much study of the problems of translating Tolkien, I once gave a talk on "American as a foreign language to read Tolkien in." But I had more questions than answers.

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear David

Yes, it's a great topic, and I'm sorry its presentation has been delayed.

My own thoughts on this topic derive from my reading of OFS Note E but I'd love to see Luke's exploration of and working through the subject to see what conclusion he might reach.

--JDR