Thursday, January 4, 2024

I buy Vinyl (Now and Then)

So, I celebrated the end of the year by buying the new Beatles record, NOW AND THEN. And just to add a little something extra for the occasion, I bought the single on vinyl,* not a cd. Whether this assemblage of Beatles motifs counts as a 'new record', or a Beatles record, might be debatable. All I can say is a few days ago I found the song running in my head without my having any say in the matter in the way that songs sometimes do. So I have to conclude that so far as I am concerned here we have something new that nevertheless v. much harkens back into the past: a new single by The Beatle.**

--John R.


*the size of a .33&a 3rd but played at .45; a format mostly used for disco singles back in the day.

**there's precedent for Beatles songs without all four members present on the recording. A few of these made it onto records of the time, such as "The Ballad of John and Yoko", made by John and Paul working together without George and Ringo.

No comments: