Monday, September 18, 2023

2023 Calendar

 So, having learned my lesson, one year waiting to order my next year's Tolkien Calendar and having a scramble to find out, this time I've gone ahead and gotten the 2024 calendar well ahead of time.

The art is by Alan Lee, who over the years has become if not the official artist of Tolkien's estate and publisher then certainly their preferred one. His somber landscapes have become the standard by which Tolkien art is judged. And if I occasionally feel wistful for a lighter pallet, I think back on the day when the Brothers H. represented JRRT's world and am grateful for how lucky we are.

As for the calendar itself, the theme this year* is Numenor and the Fall of Numenor, with accompanying text provided by Brian Sibley (who goes back in Tolkien studies as far as the 1981 BBC Radio adaptation). And I have to say that it was good to see brighter images in the pictures for March (Aldarion sets forth) and, ironically enough, June (Moria)--the later having the ambiance of old stained glass made up of patterns, not images.

All in all, I'd call this calendar has few surprises but stands as a worthy continuation in its series.

--John R.

--current reading: THE NIGHT LAND


*a good idea to have, by the way

1 comment:

Wurmbrand said...

Tolkien's Faith is a fine work, well-researched and agreeable to read, and, incidentally, presented in a book of exceptionally good manufacture (sewn signatures, full cloth binding, etc.). I hope it wins major awards.

Dale Nelson