Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Woodpeckers

So, earlier this week I came across a video on PBS about woodpeckers. It's something my mother wd have loved. Since I can no longer share it with her I thought I'd shared it here. Not only is the content interesting and the nature photography stunning but it confirms that I'd been pronouncing the name of the pileated woodpecker right all these years: 

pee-lee-ate-ed

We've had a resident pair of woodpeckers, a male and female flicker, come up on a regular basis outside our place for as long as we've lived here, over twenty years now. I know they can't very well be the original birds, but they do show how a family of birds can persist so long as their habitat survives.

Here's the link:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/about-woodpeckers-hole-story/27853/


--John R.

--current reading: still BABEL

No comments: