Thursday, September 1, 2022

WATERSHIP DOWN in Glasgow (Sept 2nd & 3rd)

So, this weekend I'll be spending my time at the WATERSHIP DOWN conference being held in Glasgow to mark the fiftieth anniversary of Richard Adams' famous books. One of Adams' daughters, who were the original audience of the story, is due to appear as one of the Keynote Speakers.

Here's the link to the main website:

https://watershipdownat50.com


Here's the schedule detailing who speaks when:

https://watershipdownat50.com/conference-programme-draft/


And here's the listing for my piece, which shd be starting at 15.45 Greenwich time (or at 7.45 a.m. Seattle time). 

15.45-16.15 Special Guest: John Rateliff

‘“Unrighteous, Unrabbitlike, and Inhuman”: Le Guin, Adams, and Lockley’ 

Not being able to travel to Glasgow to take part in person, unfortunately, I finished the draft on Tuesday, recorded my talk on Wednesday, and sent it in that same day with a copy of the script (in case they decide to include subtitles).

Tomorrow I'll will be on-line at the time scheduled, in order to be available for Q&A after the broadcast.


I'm looking forward to it. Not only is WATERSHIP DOWN one of my favorite books but it was the first fantasy I read after Tolkien, the book that (after a number of failures) convinced me there were more great works out there, different in mode but a masterpiece in its own right. Not incidently, it figures prominently in my series CLASSICS OF FANTASY. 

I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow admirers of his work. Topics are to include animation/adaptation (the WD film and series), rabbit mythology, Lapine language, and roleplaying games based on Adams' work.  They even have Dennis Sustare and Scott Robinson, authors of the early non-D&D rpg BUNNIES & BURROWS (1976), among the listed presenters. 


In short, I'm glad to be part of this event. There's plenty I want to see here, if only I can cope with the virtual jet lag, some of the conference taking place at hours that are wee.  We'll see. 

--John R.


 









 

No comments: