Sunday, July 3, 2022

A NEW BOOK ON THE HOBBIT

So, here's a new (forthcoming) book on THE HOBBIT due out sometime later in the year from Palgrave/Macmillan, part of their Palgrave Science Fiction and Fantasy: A New Canon.

J. R. R. TOLKIEN: REALIZING HISTORY THROUGH FANTASY by Rbt T. Tally Jr.

I had not heard of this one before; thanks to D. for the link:

https://link.springer.com/book/9783031112652?fbclid=IwAR39VJHQHGz0-qUVOBro9YFN2ICBLA-AnE3traZddaWs_oF9iIbKJqg53Ao&fs=e&s=cl

Having written so much on THE HOBBIT myself, I confess I'm curious what approach Tally will choose. From the online description it sounds as if he's chosen a Marxist approach, which I don't think has been done at book-length before. Probably not my cup of tea, but I'll want to check it out for that very reason.

--John R.

--current reading: Peter Cannon book



1 comment:

Doug Kane said...

This statement in the description of the book gives at least an inkling as to what approach Tally will choose:

"Drawing on Marxist literary criticism and narrative theory, this book examines the form and content of Tolkien’s work, demonstrating how the heroic romance is simultaneously employed and subverted by Tolkien in his tale of an unlikely hero, “quite a little fellow in a wide world,” who nonetheless makes history."

Doug