Thursday, September 24, 2020

A D&D Park

 So, thanks to Janice S. for the following link about a father who built a neighborhood park in memory of his son, an avid D&D player, complete with dragon and castle. 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/jeremy-rochman-memorial-park

Thinking back on the efforts over the last decade or so to create a Gygax memorial park or statue in Lake Geneva, to no avail, I suspect the one was the result of single-minded determination and the other several different groups and individuals pulling in different directions.

In any case, if I'm ever in Carbondale, which I have to admit is unlikely, I'd certainly want to swing by for a look.

--John R.

3 comments:

HobbitFan said...

Hi John,

This is off-topic but I have a question on Beorn's role in the book. When I read it, I always felt he was the deus ex machina or Tolkien's U-Catastrophe for this story. Is that an accurate observation? Thanks!

Walt

John D. Rateliff said...

Dear Walt

I think it's the eagles who are the true ex machina here. Beorn's return was planned as part of the story from very early on, as shown by the Plot Notes.

There too the original usage of the term, involving an actor's being lowered to or lifted from the stage via a crane, sounds to me a little closer to an air-attack rather than death-by-bear.

So you're right according to the modern generalized usage, but Tolkien may have been using a slightly stricter usage. That wd be like him.

Your query has gotten me curious about how many ancient Greek plays actually had one, so I'll see what I can turn up on that friont.

--John R.

HobbitFan said...

Thank you so much! I think that clarified my concept of it. I think you are saying it really lies in the unexpected event which is the Eagles arrival. I was thinking of it in a more physical sense, since Beorn was the unstoppable element on the battlefield and turned what looked to be defeat into victory.